Start at the beginning

Monday 21 July 2014

Thunderstruck

I hit the trails yesterday afternoon. I deliberately choose the narrow paths, and the ones I was less familiar with. Sometimes, they petered out unexpectedly, and I had to hunt around for another. Other times, I was not entirely sure exactly where I was.

But it was a great afternoon to be out. The undergrowth was thick and lush. The clearings were carpeted in flowers. Whilst I was working hard, it felt like I was moving easily, enjoying the moment. It felt great to be outdoors and running.

Then, after about 11km, the heavens opened. A summer thunderstorm such as I had never experienced before. I found the nearest road and headed towards home. Fortunately, it was only another 2km. Within minutes I was drenched. At times, the run-off was over an inch deep on the road. It splashed up knee-high with every step. I pushed the pace with an energy I had no idea I still had left in me (which is a lesson in itself). I felt alive and free.

When I got home, my 8 year old daughter had been waiting by the window for me, watching the rain. She met me at the door with a towel. She told me she'd run me a bath because she thought I'd need warming up. (I am normally a shower person, but she told me that she couldn't really run me a shower...)

What a great way to end the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment