Start at the beginning

Monday 9 March 2015

Surrey Half Marathon 8 May 2015

I ran the Surrey Half Marathon on Sunday and chalked up a PB of 1:49:10. I was really pleased with this because, as I'd been increasing my mileage I'd felt is was getting slower rather than faster.

The event itself was brilliant. About 4,800 runners took part. The temperature was about 9 degrees when we started, rising up to maybe 12 degrees by the time I finished, and there was no wind. Ideal running conditions. I wore shorts and a tee shirt only, and felt very comfortable, although I noticed a lot of runners wearing considerably more.

I slotted in just behind one of the two 1:50 pacers. They did a fantastic job running an incredibly steady pace. I overheard one of them saying she was getting ready for a marathon in which she was hoping to run 3:30. I am immensely grateful to them for giving up their Sunday mornings to run the course with a flag strapped to their back for our benefit.

From the gun, the pace felt a little quick for me, but I soon warmed up and fell in behind the second pacer, just behind the small group thronging around her as if they were too afraid to let her get more than a few feet away from them.

I discovered that the problem with pacers is that, because they're not running at their full capacity, when the hit an ascent or a slight headwind, they just a gear up a notch and maintain the same pace! Of course, I was working really had, so those ascents and headwinds saw me dropping back a little each time. But I was determined to keep up and pushed myself to make up the ground again each time.

With about 5 km to go, I noticed that the two pacers, who'd been running 20 to 30 meters apart to give everyone space, had drawn level with each other. I remember being impressed with how tightly they'd timed the whole thing. But I also knew they'd drawn level because we were now entering the last quarter and it was a case of stick to the pace or miss the time.

By that stage I was starting to feel the effects of the last 16 kms. My legs were tired and starting to hurt. I was starting to fall behind the pacers, not too badly, but I knew I couldn't afford to let them get away. I downed a third gel and pushed myself to keep up. The crowds had been fantastic all the way around and I drew on their encouragement and high-fiving kids as heavily as I could. There were a number of bands en route, and the two rock bands in the last 4 kms sounded especially fantastic and really spurred me on.

As we rounded the last bend and I could see the finish line up ahead I was just behind the pacers. I put on a final burst of speed (I always seem to have a hundred meters or so left in me no matter how tired I feel) to pass them and cross the line.

I waited just beyond the finish line to thank the pacers. I definitely could ot have kept up that pace without have their flags to chase the who.e way round. They were both looking relaxed and were generously congratulating me and all the runners coming in around them on have run a good race - great sportsmanship.

My training programme had called for me to push the pace on a half marathon distance and I had done just that. I'd surprised myself by sustaining a pace for 21 km that I usually struggle to sustain for more than 3-4 km in training. It just goes to show how much more we are capable of than what we think we are. And I am going to need that in order to get around 50 miles in May!

PS: the whole event was brilliantly organized and a fantastic sense. The only disappointment I felt about the entire day was concerning the litter. I passed numerous empty gel packs just tossed down in the middle of the road. Water was handed out in small bottles and so many runners just too a single sip and tossed the bottles, often far into bush instead of into the bins provided. I pocketed my empty gel packets and disposed of them at the end. I also carried my water bottles with me, drinking them to empty (or nearly empty) and stopping them at the next water stop at which I needed one. The course was beautiful, but it saddened me (and I am sure it must have angered the residents who none-the-less turned out to cheer us on) to see how badly people abused the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment