Start at the beginning

Friday 11 July 2014

Gadget junky

I am a self confessed gadget junky. I've logged pretty much every run I've done since I started a few years ago using either my phone or my GPS watch.

Runkeeper (Runkeeper.com) on my iPhone was my training companion for many years until just recently. It's easy to use, and plots a map of where you run, together with graphs showing climb/descent and pace, as well as a table with your splits. It keeps a log of your runs and tells you when you've broken a new personal record based any on of a dozen metrics. It also allows you to create a Street Team of other runners you know using Runkeeper and to share and comment on each others' activities. There are a few other similar products out there - Strava is another popular one - that do more or less the same thing.

The main advantage of logging everything on Runkeeper was that it keeps a permanent record of everything. I usually run alone, so there is no one to keep me going. But I find the knowledge that my run will be recorded for posterity and visible to others to be hugely motivating. It's a personal challenge to keep my Runkeeper training log looking full and strong.

But I've also had a number of problems with Runkeeper on my iPhone. I don't know whether the problem is with Runkeeper or with my phone, but it can mis-read the GPS co-ordinates making it seem like I ran a lot further and faster than I did.

Feeling slightly frustrated by this I recently upgraded to a Garmin watch with a heart rate monitor. This adds heart rate, cadence, ground contact time and vertical movement measurements to my running log in addition to the measures I was getting from Runkeeper. (To be fair, Runkeeper would probably have done that if I'd hooked a heart rate monitor to that too.)

So now I am logging all my runs on GarminConnect.com. I am also experimenting with propagating the data from GarminConnect to Runkeeper and Strava, giving me a total of three web services to map, monitor and share my training.

I know not everyone is a gadget junky like I am, but for those of us who are, gadgets add an additional element of personal satisfaction to running.

No comments:

Post a Comment